Performance and Efficiency
- BLAST® System: Boosted Low Speed Torque, or BLAST®, improves acceleration at low speeds. A quick movement of the throttle control activates the BLAST® system, advancing the ignition curve aggressively. “Hole Shot” is vastly improved as more horsepower gets the hull up on plane quicker.
- Four-Stroke Design: World-renowned Honda quality combines proven reliability and superior fuel efficiency, with no oil mixing.
- Large Displacement V6: A powerful, compact 24 valve SOHC design, without the bulk and weight of long intake runners and multi-camshafts. The narrow V6 design offers top performance and durability as well as great fuel economy.
- VTEC®: Honda’s Variable Valve Timing & Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®) system provides power where and when you need it. VTEC® gives you a broader, flatter torque curve and smooth power delivery throughout the engine’s operating range. The result is a superior combination of power, torque and fuel economy. VTEC® is the modern replacement for displacement.
- Lean Burn Control®: Lean Burn Control® increases fuel efficiency by allowing combustion to operate on a leaner air/fuel mixture. At cruising speed, this engine runs on up to 20% less fuel* than others in its class. (*Based on EPA Specific Fuel Consumption Mode.)
- Dual Stage Induction: Honda’s unique variable intake system optimizes air flow to match the engine’s speed. The result? Maximized combustion efficiency, increased torque, and superb fuel economy.
- Oxygen (O2) and Knock Sensors: Oxygen (O2) and knock sensors help determine the correct fuel flow and ignition curve to maximize performance and fuel efficiency.
- Balanced Engine: The 60° V6 fires every 60°, offering the best in balance and durability and providing smooth operation throughout the entire rpm range.
- Advanced ECU predicts the user’s operation: The technologically advanced Electronic Control Unit (ECU) in the Honda BF225 (starting with K3 models) can predict the operator’s shifting operation based on changes in engine speed and throttle position. In order to reduce the shifting load, the ECU actually controls the ignition timing to modify torque when the operator shifts from partial to neutral.
- Tuned Dual Exhaust: Some competitor’s exhaust tracks goes through the middle of the oil pan, pre-heating the oil. Honda’s dual exhaust headers wrap around the outside of the oil pan. This reduces heat build-up, and increases engine efficiency and performance.
- Multi-Port Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI®): Programmed Fuel Injection delivers the precise amount of fuel/air to each cylinder. The result is easy starts and instant throttle response with superior fuel efficiency.
- Non-Linear Mounting System: Patented non-linear rubber mounts provide smoother operation at all engine speeds.
- Counter Rotation: Improves efficiency, hull manoeuvrability and decreases driver fatigue.
- Extreme Duty Gearcase: The BF225 offers a larger, 127 mm (5 inch) diameter gear case, built to withstand the extreme duty cycles of law enforcement and military patrol boats.
Reliability and Durability
- Saltwater protection: Honda has painted the interior cooling passages on the BF225. This process prolongs the engine’s life in the harsh saltwater environment.
- World Famous Quality: The BF225 shares many components with the Honda Ridgeline, Odyssey and Honda Pilot, gaining years of proven Honda engineering, precision manufacturing and reliability.
- Engine Alert System: The ECM monitors vital engine functions and prevents engine damage by alerting the operator of: Overheating; Water in Fuel; Low Oil Pressure; Battery; Over-Rev; Critical Engine Function
- Two-Pass Cooling System: The unique cooling system maintains an even temperature on all cylinders. The incoming water passes through each aluminum exhaust manifold, then through the cylinder heads and back around the exhaust manifolds before entering the exhaust. This results in increased cooling efficiency and long-term durability!
- Positive Lubrication: A crankshaft-driven, automotive-style trochoid oil pump ensures long-term durability of critical engine components.
- Single Latch Cowl: A single front-mounted latch combines with 4 securing points to ensure a water-tight seal.
- Sealed Starter: The starter motor is inverted into a sealed chamber that protects the starter drive from the elements.
- Four-Front Corrosion Protection: A patented, “Double Sealed” multi-layered paint process. Sacrificial anodes and stainless steel technology, along with waterproof connectors, all enhance corrosion protection.
- Fresh Water Flushport: Flushes debris and saltwater out of the engine, extending the life of the outboard.
- Stainless Steel (Steering Arm, Tilt Tube and All Shafts): Stainless steel components provide durability with long-term corrosion resistance.
- Ultra Low 3-Star CARB Emissions: Environmentally conscious technology. All Honda Marine engines exceed the highest CARB 3-Star rating to meet the rigorous California Air Resource Board’s standards.
- True 3-Year Warranty: As a testament to their quality and reliability, all Honda engines come with a three-year, non-declining, non-commercial warranty or a one-year commercial warranty.
Convenience and Ease of Use
- NMEA 2000 Protocols: NMEA 2000 protocols allow engine data to be interfaced with on-board systems and systems displays, such as sonar or GPS.
- High-Output Charging: The BF225’s charging system features a 90 amp “On Demand” belt-driven alternator with 60 charging amps. This superior design reduces heat build-up and provides outstanding battery charging across the rpm range.
- AMP+ for Additional Charging at Idle: The BF2250 (starting with K3 models) has an industry-first feature, AMP+. At idle, when the engine senses a need for additional amperage, AMP+ automatically increases the rpms by 100 to produce an additional 9 amps. This feature helps prevent the draining of critical battery power when using multiple accessories, a concern when you’re fishing miles offshore.
- Slim Profile for Dual Engine Applications: No need for expensive transom modifications! The BF225’s slim 60° profile allows for mounting of dual engines on an industry standard 26” centre-to-centre distance. Makes repowers easier!
- Spark Plug Maintenance Cover: Assists in ease-of-maintenance of the spark plug. This window provides access to the spark plugs without removing the entire engine cover.
- Built-in Pitot Tube: Built-in pitot tube in the gear case eliminates the need to drill holes in your boat for speedometer installation.
- Available in Two Shaft Lengths: Available in 25 and 30 inch shaft models
- Type: 4-Stroke, SOHC, VTEC, 60 deg. V6, 24 Valves
- Displacement: 3,471 cc / 212 cu.in.
- Bore & Stroke: 89 mm x 93 mm (3.50 x 3.66 in.)
- Full Throttle RPM Range: 5,000-6,000 RPM
- Propshaft Rated Horsepower (HP): 225 HP @ 5,500 RPM
- Cooling System: Water Cooled
- Fuel Delivery: Programmed Electronic Fuel injection (PGM-FI)
- Recommended Fuel: Unleaded Gas. (Min. Pump Octane 86)
- Ignition System: MicroComputer Programmed
- Starting System: Electric
- Exhaust: Through Prop Hub
- Lubrication: Pressure lubrication by trochoid pump
- Recommended Oil: Honda 10W30 FC-W™ outboard motor oil
- Oil Capacity: 7.80 L (6.90 Imp. qt.) with oil filter repl.
- Trim Range: -4 deg. to +16 deg.
- Tilt Range: 68 deg.
- Steering Angle: 30 deg. right and left
- Gear Ratio: 1.86:1
- Gear Shift: F-N-R
- Alternator (Electric Start): 90 amp
- Battery Charging Power: 60 amp
- Power Trim & Tilt: Standard
- Oil Pressure Alert: Standard
- Over Rev-Limiter: Standard
- Temperature Alert: Standard
- Water in Fuel Alert: Standard
- Battery Condition Alert: Standard
- Speedometer Pickup: Standard
- Overall Width: 625 mm/24.6 in.
- Transom Height (X-Type): 635 mm / 25 in.
- Propeller Type: Optional
- X-Type: 272 kg / 600 lb.